Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cats and Dogs


Animals are a constant source of comfort and fascination, the ones in the wild and the ones we live with in our home. I love all kinds of animals but I am especially fond of cats. There are cats and dogs in many of my books. When I lived on my own in New York City, I had two cats named Fifi (black, long-haired) and Mitzi (a tiger cat), who I wrote about in my book Flora and Tiger. My wife, Bobbie and I had a lovely cat named Annie (grey, long-haired) for many years. You may have also noticed a white dog in my stories. Our beloved Tock, a white Samoyed, was the inspiration. (By the way, Tock was named for the dog in the book, The Phantom Tollbooth, written by my friend Norton Juster.)



We do not have a pet right now, but when in Florida we are visited regularly by a stray cat, named by the neighbors - Whitey - who we very much enjoyed seeing each day.

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, we have Samoyeds, too! Great dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful to read this little insight. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    And wow! I have just come across your blog!
    I grew up reading some of the picture books...myself and my husband are both illustrators ...so if you have time to pop over!

    Bye for now
    Sam

    PS we are both cat mad too!

    www.silkiesue.blogspot.com

    and

    www.robsdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have cats, and a regular stray who visits and we call him Chairman Mao because he looks just like Mao Tse Tung!

    ReplyDelete